Tuesday 26 February 2013

Spotlight: Coach Kyle Haas, Anderson River CrossFit


Name
: Kyle Haas
Affiliate: Anderson River CrossFit, CA
Years as a CrossFit Coach: 1
Favorite CrossFit movement: Wall Ball Shots
Fran Time: 2:53
Most recent PR: Isabel 2:48
Bacon preference: Crispy
CrossFit alter ego: Pukie the Clown
Favorite song to WOD toTake Me Home Tonight (Eddie Money)



What inspired you to become a CrossFit coach? 


I was a teacher when I started CrossFit so I always had a love for teaching others. I felt such a passion about CrossFit, I felt I needed to transition my teachings to its exercise methods. Once I transitioned from the teaching world to the CrossFit world I knew I found my calling.

What has been your best coaching experience so far? 

Seeing people do things they never thought were possible. People walk in who can’t run 400M without stopping and then end up being able to run a mile within a few months.

Tell us about the community at Anderson River CrossFit

We dedicate ourselves to creating a friendly, comfortable environment that is predicated on helping each other achieve their personal best that day. We are not competetive and WOD times are only to gauge improvement.

Will you and/or your athletes be competing in the Open this year?

I hope to have about 15-20 people testing their skills in the Open this year for the first time. I am excited to see what I can do this year after testing the waters last year. This year will be more of a trial year since we’re only a year old gym and most are still trying to grasp the fundamentals of CrossFit.

Have you ever cheated on a WOD?

No way, this is an absolute disgrace to what we stand for. I make sure I no rep myself on all moves and would never cheat on a WOD or a rep scheme.

What's your 2013 CrossFit goal and what are you doing about it?

To be proficient at bar muscle ups and pistols. I’ve been working on chest to bar pull ups and ring muscle ups for my bar muscle ups and doing lots of ankle mobility for my pistols.

What are the common signs of overtraining and how do you handle this with your athletes?

We haven’t had any overtraining at our gym because we keep a good line of communication between the trainers and our members. We also recommend rest days and make sure people stay on top of recovery.




What’s the most common mistake you see among new athletes?

Peoples knees folding in like a cheap tent on squats.

If you could give someone new to CrossFit just one piece of advice, what would it be?

Show up and hold yourself accountable for your routine.

Would you share with us your favorite tip or cue that we might find useful to use in our training?

When doing muscle ups your doing the biggest hip extension you’ve ever done then doing the fastest sit up you’ve ever done ending in a tight ball.

What was your last cheat meal and on a scale of 1 to 10 how good was it?

I cheated with a local frosty/burger place and it was a 10. Double bacon cheeseburger, fries with lots of mayonnaise sauce and an ice cream.

Do you have any success stories among your athletes you’d like to share?

We had a member who walked in a hundred plus pounds overweight and could hardly get up and down a few times. This member now comes 6 days a week and can do burpees at a consistent pace, squat full depth and is starting to lift a good amount of weight. It’s amazing to see the transformation of his body and how much better he moves in all aspects of life.

Thanks for sharing Kyle. Best of luck with the growing community at Anderson River CrossFit!

Find out more:
(w) www.andersonrivercrossfit.com
(t) 530 945 8228
(e) andersonrivercrossfit@aol.com
FB: AndersonCityCrossFit

No comments:

Post a Comment